Connect with us

Cars

NBN says 1.3 percent of FttN lines sit below 25Mbps after co-existence ends

Published

on

Australia’s National Broadband Network (NBN) company has said that as of November 9, 1.3 percent of fibre-to-the-node (FttN) premises are incapable of hitting its mandated minimum speed of 25/5Mbps once the co-existence period ends.

Co-existence is the 18-month transition period where FttN speeds are dialled down to continue allowing legacy services, such as ADSL, to operate. During that time, only 12Mbps is guaranteed for FttN connections.

NBN added that it provides retailers with weekly speed reports that show actual and attainable speeds.

“For FttN, VDSL line rate information is also available in NBN Co’s test and diagnostics provided to the RSPs,” the company said in response to Senate Estimates Questions on Notice.

“Once co-existence has ended for a service, NBN Co will accept service incidents where a service operates below 25/5Mbps, noting that the cause of under-performance may be internal wiring or other conditions which are out of NBN Co’s control.”

The last co-existence periods are set to end on June 30, 2022.

“As we’re upgrading the copper to be capable of faster speeds, we have to take steps to ensure the change in frequencies doesn’t cause interference between the ADSL and VDSL services,” an NBN spokesperson said in June 2015.

“Hence taking a cautious approach with our customers, the retail telecommunications companies, and guaranteeing the delivery of 12Mbps/1Mbps.”

NBN also said that as of November 11, it had purchased 27,600 kilometres of copper cable, which it said was typically used to connect existing pillars and new nodes.

“A significant proportion of this figure is also due to fibre-to-the-curb (FttC) network construction for short extensions of copper lead-in cables to the FttC DPU location.”

For fixed-wireless, NBN revealed that at the end of October, 0.22 percent of premises on the wireless technology were getting less than 3Mbps during busy periods, with 4 percent receiving between 3Mbps and 6Mpbs; 20 percent between 6Mbps and 12Mbps during busy periods; and 34 percent getting download speeds between 12Mbps and 25Mbps.

The company also said that 47,600 FttC premises were unserviceable, which represented 22 percent of the technology’s footprint. For fibre-to-the-premises (FttP), only 0.2 percent were unserviceable, and 2.2 percent of the FttN footprint was unserviceable.

The hybrid fibre-coaxial (HFC) footprint had 58 percent of its premises unserviceable due to the HFC pause announced in November last year.

The pause caused NBN base case funding to jump to AU$51 billion due to a AU$700 million drop in lifetime revenue and AU$200 increase in capital spending.

In November 2017, Telstra said the pause would hit its earnings to the tune of AU$600 million.

Earlier this week, NBN unveiled its business pricing bundles.

The bundles include speeds of 50/20Mbps for small businesses; speeds of 100/40Mbps for medium-sized businesses, as well as support for several phone lines; and either symmetrical and committed speeds of 20/20Mbps and 100/40Mbps peak rate, or symmetrical committed speeds of 50/50Mbps and 250/100Mbps peak rate for “data-intensive and multi-site organisations”.

“Each of the discount bundles will include a minimum 12-hour enhanced service level agreement with 24/7 support between NBN Co and retailer as well as bandwidth which incrementally increases with higher bundles,” NBN said.

“To help increase service continuity and reduce interruption for businesses, selected wholesale discount bundles will also include the option to install a subsequent line to test critical applications before connecting.”

Speaking to Joint Standing Committee on the National Broadband Network last week, the Department of Communications said business plan uptake would drive towards NBN’s monthly average revenue per user (ARPU) target of AU$51.

“NBN’s approach and offering of services into the business market is beginning to accelerate now, so the ARPU growth predicted a significant component of that will be business revenue coming onstream,” Richard Windeyer, Acting Deputy Secretary of Infrastructure and Consumer Group at the Department of Communications and the Arts said.

“In some parts of the business market and in some geographies, the NBN is the first significant alternative to a market that was otherwise dominated by Telstra connections. So NBN is providing competition in the provision of business-grade services in some geographies that previously might only have been served by Telstra.”

Related Coverage

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Cars

The Easiest Way To Back Up Your Android Phone’s Data

Published

on

Google’s service for saving and restoring photos and videos is called “Backup & Sync.” It works across all platforms. But the tool is pre-integrated into the Google Photos app for Android.

  1. To create a backup for your photo and video gallery, download and install Google Photos from the Play Store (if you haven’t already).
  2. You’ll be asked to sign in with a Google Account of your choice.
  3. After signing in, tap your profile picture in the corner to pull up the preferences.
  4. Next, navigate to Photos Settings > Backup & Sync and toggle the switch.
  5. Backup & Sync will automatically start saving your photos and videos to the cloud. Once the process is completed successfully, you will see a green accent and a checkmark around your profile picture.

Unless you’re on a Pixel phone, the storage isn’t unlimited. From June 1, 2021, Google only offers 15GB of free storage. But you can always buy extra storage or adjust the upload size to save space. To change the Upload size, scroll down the Backup & Sync menu and select Upload size. And pick from Storage saver or Original quality modes (via Google).

Also, you can specify individual folders if you don’t need to back up your entire gallery. Go to Backup and Sync > backup device folders and toggle your chosen folders from the list.

Continue Reading

Cars

Why Your Android Phone Goes Straight To Voicemail And How To Fix It

Published

on

If you need periods blocked off in your day to focus or relax, the Do Not Disturb Mode is a handy feature to have. You can either block all phone calls or only accept calls or messages from the contacts you want to hear from. If this setting is enabled, it also blocks app notifications, text messages, and alarms. But what if you forget to turn it off? Or switch it on by accident? Depending on who calls, you probably won’t hear your phone ring, and their calls will most likely go to voicemail.

Here’s how you can turn it off in three simple steps.

  1. Swipe down from the top of your screen to pull down your phone’s notification menu.

  2. Check if the Do Not Disturb button is enabled at the bottom right.

  3. If it’s on (the button will be lit). Tap once to turn it off.

Another way to turn off the Do Not Disturb function is to go through the settings menu on your phone.

  1. Go to the Settings app on your phone

  2. Hit Sound & vibration > Do not disturb > Turn on/off now.

  3. If you own a phone that is Android 8.1 and below, press Sound > Do not disturb. Toggle the switch on/off

Continue Reading

Cars

The Galaxy Note Is Dead, But Its Spirit Will Live On Every Year

Published

on

According to notorious tipster @Ice universe, Samsung mobile division head TM Roh was quoted as saying that the Galaxy Note will appear in the form of the Galaxy S Ultra every year. The direct implication here is that there will no longer be a Galaxy Note model moving forward. It also suggests that the Galaxy S Ultra models will retain the same form and features as the Galaxy Note, just like the Galaxy S22 Ultra released in 2022.

In terms of features, that basically means that the Galaxy S Ultra model will continue carrying an S-Pen inside its body. That design change started with the Galaxy S22 Ultra this year, in contrast to the previous Galaxy S21 Ultra generation, which had no room for the stylus inside. That same ultra-large phone distinguished itself from the Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22+ with its boxier design, similar to that of the latest Galaxy Note models. Whether that design will remain going forward is still unknown, but the exact appearance of the Galaxy Note was never its defining feature anyway.

This news, if confirmed to be official, will probably send mixed feelings to Galaxy Note fans. On the one hand, they will be relieved that the S Pen isn’t going anywhere, at least not yet. On the other hand, the brand beloved by professionals and creatives is finally being retired after almost a decade of service. The move will at least help consolidate Samsung’s Galaxy S brand and even make the S-Pen a staple of its flagship — and hopefully, it will at least stay that way for more years to come.

Continue Reading

Trending