Connect with us

Cars

Trump: Huawei block could be solved in China trade deal

Published

on

No such thing as bad publicity! Huawei ban raises brand profile
Huawei says it is aiming to be biggest smartphone brand by 2020. Read more: https://zd.net/2vaXxJ0

Paranoia will destroy us


Why Chinese tech isn’t spying on Americans

The notion that the Chinese government would spy on corporations and our agencies with electronic devices manufactured by Chinese companies is not only absurd but would be catastrophic to furthering their ambitions in world trade.

Read More

Amidst the US’s escalating trade war with China, US President Donald Trump has suggested the block on Huawei buying US tech could be solved in a trade deal. 

The US government put Huawei on an “Entities List,” which bans US firms from sharing technology and software with the Chinese firm due to the alleged security threat the firm poses to the US.  

The ban followed a breakdown in trade talks between the two superpowers and the ratcheting up on both sides of import tariffs. Since then, chip designer ARM cut its licensing agreement with Huawei, the world’s second largest phone maker behind Samsung. 

Google has also cut Huawei off from parts of Android due to the US ban, which could force the Chinese firm to use its own “last resort” backup mobile OS.   

But as the BBC reports, Trump on Thursday said that Huawei does pose a national security threat, but also suggested its status on the entities list could be changed if China agrees to a trade deal. 

“Huawei is something that is very dangerous,” Trump said in a White House press briefing.     

“You look at what they’ve done from a security standpoint, a military standpoint. Very dangerous.”

But then he added that it is “possible” Huawei could be part of any trade agreement with China.

“If we made a deal, I could imagine Huawei being possibly included in some form or some part of it,” he said.

SEE: IT pro’s guide to the evolution and impact of 5G technology (free PDF)  

The US earlier this month raised duties on $200bn worth of Chinese imports US from 10% to 25%. China replied with increased tariffs on $60bn worth of us imports from June 1. Trump has threatened to impose tariffs on $300bn worth of Chinese imports. 

The US trade ban on Huawei followed the US’s push for its Western allies not to use the Chinese firm’s tech for 5G networks. Not all nations have acquiesced to US demands. The UK is still deciding whether to allow Huawei tech to be used in its 5G networks. Huawei has consistently denied its technology could be used as a backdoor for the Chinese government.  

UK mobile network EE announced its 5G rollout this week and is planning to use Huawei’s equipment as part of it. However, EE has put Huawei 5G devices “on pause” due to questions over support, related to the US trade ban. 

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Cars

These Are 3 Of The Worst EVs Of All Time

Published

on

If you walk into any Chevrolet dealership today, you are more than likely to see a few Chevy Sparks on the lot. The current model is equipped with a 1.4L four-cylinder engine that puts out a grand total of 98 horsepower. It’s Chevy’s cheapest car at just under $14,000 and offers features like CarPlay standard. Until recently, some new Sparks could be configured with manual crank windows — truly innovative.

Back in 2013, General Motors made an all-electric version of the Spark to comply with California’s (new at the time) emissions regulations (via Green Car Reports). The result was a less than valiant effort. Its motors were assembled just outside of Baltimore, Maryland, and shipped all the way to GM’s operations in South Korea for production.

For specs, the Spark wasn’t weak at 140 horsepower and over 300 foot-pounds of torque, but it only had a realistic range of about 80 miles, and it took more than seven hours to charge without a fast charger. An Edmunds review of the 2016 model noted that charging from a 110-volt outlet took over 20 hours for a full battery. To make matters worse, Spark EVs in the United States were only offered in Oregon, California and Maryland, according to Edmunds. 

Continue Reading

Cars

Which Is The Better Electric Car?

Published

on

If you prioritize acceleration, battery range, and self-driving technology, the Tesla Model 3 is the clear winner. However, the Polestar 2 comes on top if you consider comfort and interior quality. Besides that, the Polestar 2 is a hatchback with hints of a premium Volvo and the Tesla Model 3 is a sedan similar to the Model S — but smaller.

As for the price, the 2023 Polestar 2 starts at $48,800. If you’re buying the 2022 model, it will cost you about $2,500 less than the 2023 model. But if you want the 2023 Long Range Dual Motor trim, it will cost you about $51,900. The biggest improvement of the 2023 Polestar 2 over the 2022 model year is the 11 miles of extra range on the Long Range Dual Motor variant.

The Tesla Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive starts at $46,990, while the Long-Range trim is sold at $54,490. The Tesla Model 3 Performance is the most expensive trim at $61,990. But with the U.S. Inflation Reduction Act, the Tesla Model 3 will become eligible for the $7,500 tax credit starting January 1, 2023 — although only the trims that are sold for less than $55,000 will be considered.

Unless Volvo builds the Polestar 2 in the U.S., it won’t qualify for the new tax incentive under the Inflation Reduction Act. However, we know Volvo is building an electric SUV in the U.S., and it will be known as the Polestar 3. 

Continue Reading

Cars

Google Stadia Shutdown Took Employees, Game Devs By Surprise

Published

on

Video game designer and founding member of multiple game studios, Rebecca Heineman shared on Twitter that her company was lined up for a Stadia game release on the first day of November, but instead got heartbreak. Indie developer Simon Roth mentioned that neither did he receive any warning in advance from Google, nor did the Stadia division reach out to him via email or phone well after the news broke out.

But it was not just indie developers that Google kept in the dark. Even heavyweights like Bungie, which brought users “Halo” and “Destiny” games, were apparently unaware of the Stadia bombshell dropping out of nowhere. Plaion, which owns multiple publishing units and ten game studios, also pointed out that it wasn’t informed in advance. Publishers Goldfire Studios and No More Robots told Kotaku that they each had a game coming out on Stadia next year.

Pixel Games shared that it finalized the deal to bring no less than three games over to Google’s cloud gaming service just a day earlier. Google, on the other hand, is reportedly working with the affected studios with schemes like reimbursing the costs of development and porting existing games to its platform. According to an Axios report, Stadia reps are reaching out to publishing and development partners with reimbursement deals.

Continue Reading

Trending