Connect with us

Tech News

Your WiFi is about to get a whole lot faster

Published

on

This week the FCC opened up 6GHz band to Wi-fi for the everyday average user, and for other unlicensed uses. This was the next big step – the biggest step, from a regulatory standpoint – toward the biggest upgrade in Wi-fi since 1989. The FCC vote opens up more space on which data can transmit over the internet, to cut down on congestion for everyday citizens. There’ll be more space on which data can move, and with 6Ghz, that data can be transmitted a whole lot faster, too.

Earlier this year, we took a look at what Wi-fi 6E meant for you. You’ve more than likely got a Wi-fi router that works with up to 5Ghz wi-fi spectrum. This means you’re likely already transmitting data to your devices in your home to the maximum speed any Wi-fi can transmit, at the moment. But now that 6Ghz is opening up for the general public, the transmission of data via the internet is going to go faster – for some people, not all.

It’s important to note that you will not automatically get the added speed of 6Ghz Wi-fi on your devices as soon as it’s open for the public. You’ll need a router capable of transmitting data at that speed, first. You’ll likely start to see Wi-fi 6 and/or Wi-fi 6E on new routers soon – if you’ve not already started to see said products already. That’ll be the new must-have new feature for home internet.

The date at which the vote by the FCC was called was April 23, 2020. At that time, the FCC announced, “The Federal Communications Commission today adopted rules that make 1,200 megahertz of spectrum in the 6 GHz band (5.925–7.125 GHz) available for unlicensed use.”

“Wi-Fi 6 will be over two-and-a-half times faster than the current standard and will offer better performance for American consumers,” wrote an FCC representative. “Opening the 6 GHz band for unlicensed use will also increase the amount of spectrum available for Wi-Fi by nearly a factor of five and help improve rural connectivity.”

Here at SlashGear our tests with Wi-fi 6 and 6Ghz Wi-fi connectivity will commence in each of our various areas of residence once hardware (and connectivity) is available. Stick around for our first real-world tests, coming up as soon as possible!

Continue Reading

Tech News

The First Tesla Semi Has Been Delivered After Lengthy Delays

Published

on

There had long been suggestion Pepsi would be one of Tesla’s biggest customers — with a subsidiary spotted installing charging stations at one of its plants and test driving the trucks earlier this year. Tesla also placed an order for 100 of the high tech trucks shortly after they were announced in 2017. In October, Musk confirmed the company’s first truck was almost ready for delivery, and it would be going to the soft drink manufacturer.

Today, Tesla finally made it official and delivered its first production semis to Pepsi. Speaking at the handover, which took place at a Tesla Gigafactory in Nevada, Musk described his motivation for designing the truck. The Tesla CEO claims that trucks make up less than 1% of vehicles in the United States, but are responsible for a large chunk of emissions. Musk said it will both help the environment and improve the health of individuals living near highways. At the end of the presentation, Musk thanked Pepsico and described them as a “great partner.” 

The trucks’ keycards were then handed over to Pepsi’s representatives, followed by several high fives. The trucks’ first cargo run involved “an enormous amount of Frito Lays” which were handed out to people in attendance. Pepsi’s Kirk Tanner then took the mic and said: “I want to thank the people who have spent countless hours to make this a reality.” before thanking Elon Musk and the other Tesla representatives. Other companies are also interested in Tesla’s electric semi. Budweiser, Walmart, and UPS are amongst those who have placed pre-orders — with Budweiser ordering at least 40 of the large electric vehicles.

Continue Reading

Tech News

Kanye West Is No Longer Buying Twitter-Rival Parler

Published

on

It’s unclear whether West’s recent controversies have anything to do with the Parler deal falling apart. In a statement shared with CNBC, Parler’s owner notes that the “decision was made in the interest of both parties in mid-November.” Parler says it will be on the lookout for the growth opportunities, without clarifying if it was looking for investors to scale up, or full-fledged buyers. The latter seems unlikely to happen, given the current state of layoffs in the tech industry and the looming fears of a recession.

Parlement Technologies reportedly had high hopes from its acquisition deal with Kanye West. Soon after the agreement press release went out, Parler sent out an email to its “VIP” users, offering them perks like a gold badge for being valuable personalities on the platform. Politico reports that the email campaign inadvertently revealed the personal contact information of nearly a dozen lawmakers and some well-known conservative personalities.

Citing an insider source, Axios reports that West’s unstable financial situation following the cancellation of lucrative deals with the likes of Adidas played a role in his Parler plans falling apart. In the meanwhile, West has returned to Twitter, after his account was restricted for a few weeks ago over sharing anti-Semitic remarks. West currently has a huge follower base of over 18 million on Twitter, which dwarfs the total number of users on Parler, as of December 2021.

Continue Reading

Tech News

Elon Musk Says Twitter’s Potential Removal From iOS App Store Was ‘Misunderstanding’

Published

on

Barely two days after Elon Musk feuded with Apple publicly, he met with Tim Cook to settle the differences. “We resolved the misunderstanding about Twitter potentially being removed from the App Store. Tim was clear that Apple never considered doing so,” Elon Musk tweeted last evening. This was a few hours after he shared a video of Apple’s HQ to disclose the location of the meeting.

However, Elon Musk didn’t reveal if Apple will continue advertising on Twitter. According to the Washington Post, Apple was the biggest ad spender on Twitter in Q1 2022. It spent an average of $4 million per week to run ads on Twitter between January to March this year — this added up to about 4% of Twitter’s revenue. However, Reuters reports that Apple reduced its weekly ad budget on Twitter to $131,600 a few weeks after Elon Musk bought the social media company. We also haven’t heard from Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook, about the agenda of his meeting with Elon Musk. 

Continue Reading

Trending